Sunday, January 9, 2011

Change, Change and More Change

It is said, "the joy of life consists in the exercise of one's energies, continual growth, the enjoyment of every new experience . . . and constant change!"

When talking to senior couples who have served missions before us, we have been counseled to learn - quickly and above everything else - to “go with the flow,” “roll with the punches,” and accept change as inevitable. They were not wrong because change has, so far, been the operative word!!!!

In the beginning, we were called to the Jamaica Kingston Mission . . . then 4 days later, we received a phone call from the Missionary Department saying there had been a mistake and we were actually being called to the West Indies.

We were told we would be at the MTC for a total of two weeks before we flew out to our mission field. We have now been at the MTC for three weeks. Thankfully, the training has been absolutely WONDERFUL.

We were told we would fly out of Salt Lake City to New York on Monday, January 17 . . . catch a “red eye” arriving in Georgetown, Guyana on Tuesday, January 18. One of the PEF trainers told us on Thursday our plans had been changed. We are still leaving from Salt Lake on Monday, January 17 . . . but we are flying to Dallas, then on to the Dominican Republic for 4 more days of PEF training (now a total of nearly 4 weeks of training).

We have been telling everyone for weeks we would be living in Linden, Guyana . . . but as of Thursday, it appears we are being reassigned to Trinidad where we will be working in the mission office for what we hope will be a short time. In addition, we will also be traveling to Guyana from time-to-time to make contact with local leaders to help establish the PEF program (unless, of course, the brethren - who we have been told have their eyes focused on the future of Guyana - change our assignment again).

But D&C 31:11 states . . . "it shall be given you by the Comforter what you shall do and whither you shall go" so despite all these changes, we are confident we are in good hands!!!

NOTE: Ed took the picture of the Salt Lake Temple during one of our meetings on the 8th floor of the Church Office Building.

5 comments:

Kaytee Postma said...

23 MONTHS?!?!?!?!?! What the . . . ???

Linda Sappington said...

From Kris: I DARE you to stay until December 2012!! I will come out there and pull you back to the states by the scruffs of your necks if you try that little stunt!

Miss you and love you both!!

Linda Sappington said...

From Jan'L: Dave & I wondered as I read that to him at around midnight last night. I about died, he just said, well I probably would have waited til I was out a year before making that decision. Glad to hear you will be coming home as planned!

By the way, you will land at your destination on my birthday...I will think of you the whole day and try not to think of myself turning the big 4-0! Dave is already welcoming me into the club. I told him I didn't want to join. :)

I love hearing about all that you are experiencing. The boys love it too!

Keep your letters coming,

Jan'L

Dean and Elaine said...

Very interesting. . . You really have gone through quite the changes! I'm curious as to what prompted the extension before even getting to the field.

BeccaOBecca said...

I am thrilled to read your blog and will b following it on Yahoo. So much to ask but now that I'm here I am drawing a BLANK! LOL...Love you BOTH! Rebecca & Taylor - Bloomington 7th