Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Cuz'N Camp ... Henion Style

My Henion grandparents (Harry Dexter and Else Marie Werner Henion) had a large family of 5 daughters and 3 sons, who in turn produced my 17 cousins.  Because my mother didn’t particularly like my dad’s side of the family, I saw very little of most of them when my brother Larry and I were growing up, but I have many happy memories of those few times we did get together … so it was a wonderful opportunity, when on our recent roadtrip, my cousin Coyia Nyland Keables organized her annual cousins luncheon to coincide with our trip to Washington State. On Wednesday, August 23, 2017 we gathered with Ken (June) and Don (Margie) Wheeler, sons of my Dad’s oldest sister Leodice Henion Wheeler;Clifford Elford, son of my Dad’s sister Eloise Henion Elford; Coyia and her mother Coral Henion Nyland, my Dad’s 4th sister who just celebrated her 97th birthday; and my brother Laurence David Henion and me. It was a delightful gathering and a fun opportunity to get caught up! 

Don (born in 1931) is the oldest of those who are left and Larry is the youngest. Several were unable to attend, including Leonard Elford, Mark Nyland and the three sons (Steve, Dexter and Adam Peter) of my dad’s youngest sister Lois Henion Clark.  Those who have gone on before us are Zanna Clark, Lois’s only daughter; Evelyn Elford and Barbara Elford Larsen, daughters of Eloise; Bruce Nyland, Coyia’s brother; LeRoy Bruenn; and 2-year-old Dudley Henion, son of my dad's brother Millard.

Seeing my beautiful Aunt Coral was icing on the cake. Because I had many Henion photos in my computer, she and I were able to spend time together laughing and crying over loved ones long since gone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know so few if those names! You're lucky you have so many cousins.

eds said...

I agree with Kelly. I wish we had a larger family that was willing to get together more often in an official family reunion. We should work on this family project.

Adam said...

Hi Linda, my name is Adam Ott and my Biological Father is Adam Peter Clark (Washington State). His mother had a madien name of Henion and I know his sister had passed away, and I know he had 2 brothers... other than that, I dont know much. After reading your blog I was thinking that your aunt Lois Henion Clark may be my Grandmother. Can you confirm any more details?