Saturday, September 2, 2017

My Name Sake



It was no secret my mother did not particularly like my father’s family, almost from the beginning of their marriage.  When Dad left for service in World War II just a few short months before I was born my parents had yet to decide on a name.  In their written communications (long before the internet), Mother proposed “Peggy Sue” as my name, but Dad countered with “Linda Carol” which my mother agreed was a good name since Linda was popular at the time and her mother’s middle name was Carol.  

At a Thanksgiving dinner about 40 years later, Mother retold the story of how I was named after her mother, but my father said matter-of-factly, “no, she was named after my mother.”  We all looked blankly at him.  What was he talking about?  His mother’s name was Elsie Werner.  “That’s right,” he responded in his usual quiet voice, “…. LC.”

Needless to say, my mother was furious so their trip was cut short!!!!

No comments: