Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Lesson Learned: Plan Ahead . . . No Matter What!

Last Tuesday I finished my first 5-week computer class by handing out certificates of accomplishment to 6 students. This Tuesday dawned with no one registered for the second set of 5-classes. The Garden Park branch president told me he had announced it from the pulpit and encouraged people to attend, but no one had called and I was not expecting anyone to show up!

At about 5 p.m. we packed up our three laptops (though I had no lesson plan in mind because I was convinced no one would be there) and headed across town. When we pulled into the parking lot, only the branch president and his family were there.

“See, I told you,” I said to my companion when we pulled into the empty parking lot. However, when we got inside, we discovered there were 8 people anxiously awaiting my arrival, including Sister Goodluck who has never touched a computer in the 60+ years of her life, but wants to be able to communicate on-line with her grandchildren.

Needless to say, I flew by the seat of my pants for the next two hours while reminding myself over and over of that age-old adage . . . “plan ahead, no matter what!”

3 comments:

Kaytee Postma said...

I assume Dad is your companion??? And I'm glad to see people are showing up. I know all too well how frustrating it is when you plan for something with a whole bunch of no shows!

Linda Sappington said...

A sweet note from my computer class graduates Natasha and Ronald Singh: A BIG THANK YOU YOU ELDER AND SISTER LCSPPI FROM NATASHA AND RONALD SINGH . WE GET TO LOVE YOU SO MUCH.

Linda Sappington said...

A sweet note from my computer class graduate Sister Goodluck, mother of the West Indies Mission first counselor Colin Goodluck: thanks for helping me know I'm not too old to learn!