Thursday, August 4, 2011

A Computer in Every Home

“A computer in every home” is the current promise of the Guyanese government (funded by "green money" from foreign governments wanting to preserve the Amazon rainforest which makes up about 80% of Guyana's land mass). While that promise sounds generous on the surface, there are many strings attached to this "gift" and most people in this 3rd world country - except for some of the children - have no technical skills.

One evening while bemoaning the fact we were not reaching enough people, it struck me by way of personal revelation, one way I could help is to teach - even a handful of people - a little about how a computer works then encourage them to "practice, practice, practice" in order to develop a marketable skill!

In 5-weeks of classes, as many as 8 students per week learned Microsoft Word (as much as I knew how to teach them) in the first two lessons, followed by a lesson on Excel, one on Power Point and the last class was a “wrap-up” on anything we missed . . . what they had forgotten . . . an introduction to Picasa and blogging . . . then ended with the creation of their very own graduation certificate.

What a wonderful experience to see class members from 14 to 40 experiencing the "magic" of technology; but the magic for me is knowing these few simple lessons might lead them to a good job in a country crying for people with even the most basic computer skill.

I intend to continue teaching these same five lessons - all around Georgetown - every Tuesday night until we go home!

2 comments:

Linda Sappington said...

FROM KELLY: I thought I would pass along something I found interesting. The University of Phoenix conferred my Associates degree on my birthday: October 12 2009 and they conferred my Bachelors degree on yours. I guess I’ll never forget the days I finished.

I read through your blog this morning. It looks like you are doing what you are best at: teaching. I imagine it’s quite wonderful for them to be using computers, for maybe the first time.

I miss talking to you. I pick up the phone 16 times a week to call you.

I love you more than you know.

Kaytee Postma said...

That is so cool what you are doing for these people. I would imagine that the only time they could ever learn these skills is from an american since those skills are hard to come by in a 3rd world country like Guyana.

BTW, tell Kelly all she has to do is check her skype like I do. I feel like I talk to you guys almost as much as I did when you were living in St. George