Thursday, May 12, 2011

Congratulations, Kelly

Even without us there to cheer her success, our eldest daughter Kelly graduated on Saturday, May 7 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Management from the University of Phoenix. For the past three years, she has matriculated as one of 420,700 undergraduate students and 78,000 graduate students (the equivalent of 224,880 full-time students) on 200 campuses. Wow, who knew?

Of her outstanding achievement, she writes: "Along with 850 other graduates in my “class” I completed a long journey by walking across the stage at the Maverik Center in Salt Lake City to receive a Bachelor of Science degree in Management. The question has been asked repeatedly whether I intend to pursue a Masters degree (since a Masters is the new Bachelors). I have not ruled it out, but I intend to take at least a year before making a decision because over the past three years (in addition to my studies):

1. Gary was State Captain of the Patriot Guard which, contrary to popular belief, is a 24/7 volunteer job

2. We coordinated the Gathering of the Guard, a national motorcycle event and concert with the Kentucky Headhunters and Confederate Railroad musical groups

3. We coordinated Dan’s Ride to raise money for scholarships for immediate family members of military personnel killed in action

4. We initiated the process to incorporate the Daniel G Dolan Patriot Fund which also included working through the process of obtaining a 501(c )(3) charitable status with the IRS

5. We remodeled our home

And, did I mention I also bought a new motorcycle I haven't had time to ride and welcomed two new grandchildren into our family? The most important part is my husband and daughter still love me. I do not know if there will be additional monetary returns or added responsibility but really none of that really matters. What matters is I made a goal and achieved it. Earning a bachelors degree is a matter of personal pride!"

4 comments:

Kaytee Postma said...

Go Kelly! Congratulations!!!!!

eds said...

I was the first to see you as you came into the world and I knew at that moment you were and are special. I first thought you were a boy but then that is another story. You not only played alone as the first born in the tiny Y View Village housing project on the BYU Campus but you learned to play well with others. You have always been one to step up and say "I will do it, send me." Keep on going my daughter you are loved by your parents both here on earth and in the Heavens and all who know you. Love Forever. Dad

eds said...

Correction, mom points out she was the first to see you. I was the first to see you when they came from the delivery room. I can't remember if fathers were able to be in the delivery room at the time or if I was chicken. In any event I have know you just about from the very beginning. I love you and am proud to be your dad.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Daddy! I love you, too.