Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Faith on the Berbice Harbor Bridge

Q: What do these four total strangers have in common?

A: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

We missed the Georgetown turn after attending the handing off program at the New Amsterdam Special Needs School so we were stuck in traffic created by the daily 2-hour opening of the Berbice Harbor Bridge. Everyone got out of their cars to stretch and talk. I decided to walk up to the washroom (about 25 cars away) and on my return I was approached by 20-year-old Courtney Johnson who asked timidly if I was a missionary then asked if I could help him find the church. He had moved in the past several months and had not been able to find a branch in his new area of Guyana and he really wanted to attend again!

We walked back to the car so I could write down his name and phone number to find My Elder with Faith and Fazina, two 14-year-old, 9th graders who had noticed his black nametag and introduced themselves as members of the Rosignol Branch. They also told him they hope to serve a mission on Temple Square in Salt Lake City when they are older. (Fazina, spelled F-A-ZED-I-N-A, is the only member of the Church in her family).

What a lovely experience! The example of faith among these wonderful Guyanese Saints is humbling and makes me very aware of how much more I need to do to truly become a Saint (with a capital S)!

1 comment:

Kaytee Postma said...

It's funny . . . those little black nametags stand out as if you had pink hair! It's like, in a huge crowd of people, you'd see those little nametags before you actually saw the missionary wearing it.