Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Saying Goodbye to Mary

There are people we simply believe will always be there because we can’t imagine life without them. Verda Carol Godwin Bradford Howell and Mary Dunn Olsen were two of those people in my life. Both, I thought, would live forever, but my Nana passed away in 2000 and now I have lost Mary, too.

My heart and my brain are having a hard time accepting that my wonderfully creative, beautiful, larger-than-life and one-of-a-kind friend with her big infectious laugh and an even bigger testimony, left us for a better place on Wednesday, April 20, 2011 in Heber City, Utah. She loved serving in the Church and making rag rugs (though not necessarily in that order). Her little business - Persnikity Rugs - supported her hobby; gave her an excuse to travel the country in search of new fabrics; and, she said, was emotionally therapeutic!

My, too infrequent, lunches with Mary are some of my happiest memories. She was one of my dearest friends and I will miss her until we meet again. There will never be another Mary Dunn!

3 comments:

Kaytee Postma said...

It is so hard to believe she's gone. I'll never forget Duke and his love for our house. I now am thinking this persnikity rug in my kitchen should be folded lovingly and put in my cedar chest cause it's the last rug I'll ever get from her.

Dean and Elaine said...

This is such a shock to me! She's too young to be gone! I too loved Mary for her incredible weaving talent, of which I am the recipient of both her rugs and place mats. I loved her infectious laugh as well, and I appreciated how good she always was to me. I was blessed to count her as my friend.

Jill E. Jones said...

I, too, adored Mary. I first met her when she was in the Third Ward many years ago. What a treasure! She always had us laughing. Yes, she's too young to be gone. Once more I'm reminded of the need to embrace life and love it. We never know when our time will come.