Monday, September 20, 2010

We've Been Called to Serve

We received our long-awaited mission call letter last week.  Ed was out-of-town when the letter came.  I offered to wait until he was back home before I opened it, but neither of us could wait, considering it had already been six weeks since we hit “submit” on the online application.

We were soooooo excited when we read we had been called to serve as PEF missionaries in Jamaica!   I cried when reading the letter to my soon-to-be missionary companion.  We began telling everyone …. we’re going to Jamaica, but I wasn’t feeling the confirmation of the Spirit it was exactly where the Lord wanted us to serve.

THEN, today - four days later - Ed called me at work, asking, “so, are you sitting down?”  A thousand things went through my mind in a matter of seconds, trying to understand what he was going to say.  His news, it turns out, was that, after all, we weren’t going to Jamaica, but will serve in PEF in Guyana, South America.  Seems someone in the Missionary Department made a mistake.  We’ve never heard of Guyana (other than the whole Jim Jones thing), so the first order of business is to get on the internet and do some research.  Whew!  So exciting.  We report to the MTC on December 27.  Lots to do in 93 days but I can’t wait!

No comments: