Friday, September 10, 2010

Retirement Party Planned


I am promised in all the Utah state paperwork I have filled out. . ."Retirement is the beginning of a new stage of life. Work is only part of what you do as a person. When you retire from working, whether fully or partially, you'll have more time for the other interests in your life." I hope this rosy definition is accurate, because today was a bit surreal as I interviewed the short list of candidates for my position and my staff designed, printed and addressed about 1,000 invitations to a retirement party in my honor. The cards are being mailed to volunteers and those with whom I have worked for more than 15 years inviting them to an open house on September 27.

Those who already know, say nice things, like, "no one will ever be able to take your place," "you are irreplaceable," "whoever takes your place will certainly have big shoes to fill," "this community will never be the same without you." Of course, I learned a long time ago (back in my hospital days) no one is indispensible!!! There will be a day when volunteers in Washington County will say, "Linda who?"

I am looking forward to the years ahead in which I plan to complete everything on my "bucket list." I accept the fact that it is time to move on, but I will miss the day-to-day interaction of volunteers I have come to love . . . and my wonderful staff who make everyday I spend in the office a joy.

And speaking of surreal, the official day I fly away on my broomstick is now Halloween!

1 comment:

Kaytee Postma said...

I think the town will mourn when you leave and I think it will be a very long time before anyone says "Linda who?" Although I do think it's ironic that you officially leave your post on Halloween