Saturday, September 18, 2010

September 16 . . . a Red Letter Day

After 35 years as a member of the Exchange Club, Ed made the decision to step down a couple of months ago, so I had no reason to question his invitation to attend the meeting of the St. George Exchange Club on Thursday, September 16 when, he told me, they were going to honor him for his years of service. Turns out, I was the one being honored as the recipient of the Book of Golden Deeds, the most prestigious award given by the Exchange Club to a special person - member or non-member - for dedicating time and efforts to strengthening the community. Needless to say, I was left absolutely speechless with the award - and was quite concerned Ed was not being treated fairly! I was honored for my efforts to build the Volunteer Center network in Southwest Utah and for other programs in which I have been involved over the past 25 years. It was very nice - and completely unexpected - but felt like a funeral.

Also on September 16, my replacement started at our office. Her name is Carol Hollowell (see more about her and her family on my ward blog at http://bloomington7thword.blogspot.com/). She is darling, energetic and excited about this opportunity. As for me, it seems a little strange to have someone else doing what I have been doing for the past 16 years.

And, finally on September 16, I received an e-mail from our bishop indicating he had been notified our mission papers are ready to mail. We should have them in our hands by the middle of next week. All-in-all . . . it was quite a day!!!

No comments: