Saturday, June 13, 2015

Tucson and Tombstone

We had been planning to travel to Mexico with about 300+ members of Rotary District 5420 for more than a year … but it didn’t occur to me to get out my passport until the Monday night of the week we were to leave.  “Good to go,” I confidently thought until Ed – passports in hand – said, “oops, you’ve got a problem.”  Seems my passport was expired a full year ago!!!

After my brief mini-panic attack, I decided we’d just not be able to go … after all, a passport is vital for crossing borders (I’ve personally had some memorable experiences with immigration people … and it wasn’t fun).  But, on Tuesday morning, I woke up with a resolve to find a solution.  My solution was U. S. Senator Mike Lee’s southern Utah representative … my good friend Bette Arial.  She put me in the able hands of Yolanda, the Senator’s Constituent Representative (aka “problem solver extraordinaire”).  Yolie spent about 30 minutes on the phone talking with one government worker after another until she finally connected with my solution … the Western Passport Center in Tucson.

Dropping everything, we loaded the car and headed out … 3 days earlier than we had planned.  My early morning Thursday appointment took the better part of the day, but at 2:30 I had my expedited passport in hand at a cost of only $170 (compared to $135 for a standard passport).

While waiting for Kelly and Gary and with two days to kill before we could get into our condo in Mexico, we decided to explore Tucson and surrounding communities (so, here’s a question … why is it pronounced Too-san when it is spelled Tuck-sun?  Anyone?)  Not much to see in Tucson (except two good movies at a nearby Cinemark Theater) so we decided to drive to Tombstone (about 45 miles SE of Tucson).  Had a great day in this historic Western town, took lots of pictures … and, even got a hug from Wyatt Earp himself.

Next stop … Mexico!

No comments: