Friday, June 8, 2012

Socialized Medicine in Guyana

We had our one-and-only experience with socialized medicine today.  I have been having a problem with my right eye, so upon the advice of opthalmologists in St. George and the West Indies Mission, we found our way to the Eye Clinic at Georgetown Public Hospital.  Arriving at a little past 7 a.m., we thought we were ahead of the wave, but were told when we checked in with the security guard, we needed "our paper" and would have to go first to the Outpatient Clinic to be evaluated.  We were one of about 70 patients, there to be seen for about 70 different ailments.  As it turns out, I was one of the first, so it only took about 2 hours - including 5 minutes with the doctor who appeared to be very bored and uninterested.  She asked me what my problem was, made a note on my paper and sent me back to the hospital where we sat for another 1 1/2 hours before the doctor diagnosed a macular hole in the back of my eye - then suggested I go home . . . to St. George because "we can't do anything for you here in Guyana!"

While everyone was very nice, the clinics were dirty, crowded and decorated like the furniture department of your local Deseret Industries store . . . but the care was FREE!

1 comment:

Kaytee Postma said...

What about when you broke your leg? Wasn't that a "socialized medicine" situation as well???