Friday, June 15, 2012

Things I Will Miss About Life in the WIM

In the 18-months we've spent in the West Indies Mission, we missed many things about our comfortable southern Utah home and our wonderful community. Besides my kids and grandkids, I particularly missed my nail lady, jewelry, a good haircut, a king-sized bed with big, fluffy pillows; a garbage disposal and a clothes dryer, Winger’s, and working in my backyard garden. My companion missed going to the movies on Friday nights, golfing with his friends, un-structured “downtime,” a good steak, real milk and “dry heat” . . . and we both missed the red hills of Dixie.

Now as we prepare to return home, here is my list of things I WILL NOT MISS about the West Indies Mission:

1. Our 24/7 companionship
2. Mosquito netting, mosquito spray . . . and MOSQUITOS!!!
3. The heat and humidity of life on the Equator!
4. Bugs in everything, no matter how tightly you think you’ve sealed the container
5. Super-sized cockroaches, centipedes and snakes (only saw a few, but, still . . .)
6. Horns honking a nanosecond after the light turns green
7. Ridiculously overloaded mini-buses and taxis zipping erratically through traffic
8. “Bad hair days” because of humidity, do-it-yourself haircuts and beauticians who don’t know what to do with my "head from hell!"
9. My very limited missionary wardrobe
10. Standing in line
11. Driving on the left side of the road
12. Dogs barking incessantly . . . especially at night
13. Angry immigration officers
14. Garbage on every street corner
15. Meetings / events which routinely start an hour late!
16. People who set appointments then show up unapologetically an hour late or call 5 minutes before the appointed time to say they can't make it . . . or simply don't show up at all!

On the other hand, there are many things I will miss with a heart-wrenching ache about
the West Indies Mission

1. Chicken and jalapeƱo panini sandwiches from Mario’s
2. Berbice rice
3. My "Kitty"
4. Hugs and kisses from sisters in every branch
5. The young missionaries and the amazing senior couples with whom we have served.
6. My wonderful Guyanese brothers and sisters
7. Our YSA’s
8. Personal growth from the experience of being in the minority
9. Helping my Heavenly Father build His kingdom in Guyana

2 comments:

Kaytee Postma said...

Maybe you can go on another mission and learn all the things to love about that place too! :) "Bloom where you are planted!" Isn't that what you've always told me??!!

Taisley Ann said...

it would be cool if allot of people could do that in
st.George