Thursday, November 24, 2011

A Guyanese Thanksgiving

Since Thanksgiving is an American holiday, it is not on the radar screen for most Guyanese. There is no canned pumpkin for pies and we had to search high-and-low for a turkey and cranberry sauce. Still, we had a lovely day . . . though not wholly traditional. The menu included turkey and gravy, cook-up rice and pumpkin stew, and two kinds of dessert. The guests included a dozen missionaries currently serving in the Georgetown area who also brought garlic mashed potatoes, chocolate chip cookies, roti, and homemade root beer, adding to the eclectic menu.

Following their regular weekly district meeting, we all sat down together to feast and to count our blessings – though we are mindful of the upcoming election here in Guyana for which we have all been warned to “lie low” for a few days. But these young men – all “ten feet tall and bullet proof” – are not concerned, so we hope they are obedient!

I am counting my blessings today, including my beautiful family, the opportunity to serve the Lord here in the West Indies, members who are finding employment and building their skills, and that we are American citizens!!!

2 comments:

Linda Sappington said...

You have no idea how I wish you were here to celebrate & share in my cooking responsibilities. Dave won't let me off the hook on any of my dishes! UGH

We had such a good time last year, wish we could do it again. I'll b thinking of you.

Jan'L

Linda Sappington said...

FROM SISTER LINDORF: I just have to tell you how much I enjoy the mission blog! Every tiny touch of detail that you so carefully collect and add makes it shine! :) I just read the introduction you posted for Elder Lindorf and I... so special. Thanks!

On that note, feel free to consider me as a candidate for taking over the mission blog when you go home. If you have others already in the wings, and/or are in an easier position to "train," of course you should go with them. I'm just volunteering if it is needed.

Keep up the wonderful work you do and God bless!