Sunday, November 30, 2008

Grandpa's Waffles

"Please can we have waffles, Grandpa," said a chorus of visiting grandchildren over the recent Thanksgiving weekend. "We love your waffles!"

"Wait just a minute," chimed in Grandma who was standing nearby. "Those aren’t Grandpa’s waffles . . . they’re waffles made from Grandma’s recipe which makes them Grandma’s waffles. Grandpa just adds an egg and a little bit of water! It’s the exact same waffle if I make them or if Grandpa makes them, so why are they Grandpa's Waffles?"

With his legendary quick wit, 13-year-old Zachary considered that for a minute then said, "Maybe so, but between yours and Grandpa’s, his is always going to be better!" We all howled with laughter then enjoyed breakfast together!

Here’s the now famous recipe for Grandpa’s Waffles (made by Grandma):

20 cups of white flour
2 ½ cups of powdered milk
3/4 cup of baking powder
½ cup of sugar
2 T. of salt
2 T. Cream of Tartar
2 lb. vegetable shortening (about 2/3 of a can)

Blend by hand to a fine mix which resembles Bisquick (but tastes so much better). When its time to make waffles (or pancakes) just add an egg and water to 1-2 cups of mix and pour into your heated waffle iron.

2 comments:

3boysohmy said...

You can add that to our Christmas List...You made this for us when we got married 14 years ago, I tried making it once and I'm not sure if I just used different brands or if I just don't have your touch but it was nasty and we ended up tossing the whole batch! We would love some master mix!!!

Ed said...

It's not just the one egg and a cup of water it is the way Grandpa Ed adds those two items to the mix. In fact Grandma Linda asked me to help make the last batch of Maxter Mix. She instructs me to count out 20 cups of flour, not a easy task for someone who gets distracted by the sounds of an ant walking on the moon out side. Well I count out 20 cups and she said, you did count out 20 cups didn't you? to which I relied yes, (more or less) under my breath. Well to end this long comment I had to try the new supply of MM the next morning. To my delight it was the best batch we have ever made. So the new directions are 20 cups more or less. Ya gotta love success when you achieve it..Love yal...