Sunday, October 26, 2008

Catching Up on Old News: Saying Goodbye to Phil

Several family members have asked about the memorial service for Phil Sappington held mid-September in Kona, Hawaii. Uncle Phil had lived there for many years and had a great many friends who showed up to say goodbye! Hosted by his partner John Pelanconi, it was a lovely catered affair, including a display of Phil’s art work.

Born August 2, 1946 in Idaho Falls, ID to Philip Scott and Mina Ann Western Sappington, Philip died July 10, 2008 in Kailua, Kona of lymphoma. A lifelong learner, Phil had just returned from a month in Italy where he was enrolled for the second time in an Italian language school.

Known as Dwaine to his family and friends in Ririe, Idaho he attended and graduated from Ririe High School where he was yearbook editor. From his youth, he collected rocks (particularly geodes) and dabbled in art. At the age of 19, he was called to serve an LDS mission in London, England. After an honorable release, he attended and graduated from the University of Utah with a BS degree in psychology and later from the University of California (Los Angeles) with his doctorate. He also had a degree in nursing and in southern California, he worked in the psychiatric unit at St. John’s Hospital. This "friend of Dorothy" eventually moved to San Francisco where he met Harry E. Browning, Jr., a high-powered attorney. They were companions for nearly a dozen years until Harry died from AIDS, at which time the San Francisco Board of Supervisors adjourned for a day in his honor.

Following Harry’s death, Phil relocated to Santa Clarita. When his health began to decline he decided Hawaii’s warm climate might improve his overall condition. On the Big Island - where he was a frequent visitor for more than 20 years - he followed his passion for various art forms. He began slowly with pen-and-ink drawings, then branched out into water colors and oils, but at the time of his death, he had become passionate about block printing. He served twice as president of the local artists guild and was considered a superior leader.

He will be missed as an important member of our family!

5 comments:

Kaytee Postma said...

Sometimes I wish I would have gotten to know Uncle Phil better. When he sent me his china after Josh and I got married, I called him to thank him for it and we ended up talking for over an hour. I guess I lost my chance now....

Hansen Family said...

I knew Phil in Ririe, Idaho. We were class mates thru highschool and one year of college. I just found out that he passed away. I would like to learn more about him and his art. My email address is:
Rhunter146s@onewest.net

Thank you,
Robert hunter

Unknown said...

I have a nice piece of art he did..

BJ said...

I have a nice picture from my father's estate that he acquired while living on the Big Island of Hawaii. In trying to find out something more about the artist I came across your blog. I believe the print I have was done by "Uncle Phil." It is titled "Solitude,"is 1/25 painted in 1997. I think it was done at City of Refuge, Big Island, Hawaii. I really like it. It would be entirely possible that my father met Phillip Sappington when they both were there. I would be happy to share a picture of the painting with you. BJ

Unknown said...

Today, at a thrift store in Franklin, Indiana, I purchased 'Orchid Fantasy', an ink/colored pencil work that Phil did in 1999. I was searching the artist hoping to find information and came upon this blog. This piece was done in Kailua Village, Hawaii.