Friday, June 18, 2021

FAMILY HISTORY: Gloria

When we lived in Thousand Oaks, CA, I was assigned as Gloria’s visiting teacher. 

This beautiful woman, a few years older than I was well-to-do, had beautiful clothes, an impressive house, a fancy car and a handsome husband.  As a young wife and mother, I was intimidated since at that time, I had four children growing up in our new, but small, starter home a few blocks away … and I wanted to be her when I grew up.

Gloria always seemed happy to hear from me when I called to make an appointment to stop by her home … and she never said NO to my request to visit, even though she and her husband were not active in the church.

However, when the time came to ring her doorbell, she would open the door – but only about 1” – and she always said the same thing.  “I’m so sorry, but this is just not a good time, but please come back.”

Month after month for more than two years, we went through the same scenario.  I called, she said YES.  I rang her doorbell, she said NO!

Then there was the day when I had an appointment to visit Gloria at 2 pm.  I was sure I knew how it would go, but I was called to serve her so at 1:59 pm, I stepped onto her porch and rang the doorbell. 

But, this visit was entirely different.  I heard the garage door go up and her handsome husband sped out in his shiny, expensive car.  At about the same time, the front door opened WIDE.  There stood Gloria in only panties and bra … and covered in blood.  As she fell into my arms, she said through her tears, “I prayed you would come and I prayed you would be on time.  I knew today he was going to kill me.”

Turns out, despite her wealthy life style, she had been a seriously battered wife for most of the years she had been married and is often the case, the abuse was escalating.

This experience still makes me tear up but I learned three important lessons.  I learned to always be on time. I learned you never know what’s going on behind someone’s front door and, I learned just because someone appears to have everything doesn't mean they do!!!!

PS:  The rest of the story ... he was arrested.  She filed for divorce and moved to Hurricane, UT - his hometown.  He had one of those Southern Utah names everyone knew.  Gloria returned to church and was eventually called as her ward's Relief Society president. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How have I never heard this story? What did you do?