Sunday, April 5, 2020

FAMILY STORY: Missing my Nana today

It was 20 years ago today when, on April 5, 2000, Verda Carol Godwin Bradford left this world wanting to “make it home in time for His birthday party” she told me the day before her passing.

My maternal grandmother – known to all of her family as Nana - was singularly the most significant influence in my life. She was my mother, teacher, friend and confidante especially through my teenage years when she lived next door to our family in Huntington Park, CA. She loved to cook – especially the best lemon meringue pies, refrigerator cookies, apple crisp and chicken and dumplings which I have never been able to duplicate - but didn’t leave any recipes behind. She loved to travel but didn’t learn to drive until she was in her 50’s. She was a savvy and successful businesswoman in the 1950-60’s when the world was still trying to define women in the workplace.

She loved teenagers and her calling to teach them in Sunday School where she was always prepared with wonderful lessons and her love and constant reaching out brought many inactive teens back to church. She had a wonderful sense of humor despite difficult personal and family heartaches. One of her closest friends was Nellie Hunter, mother of LDS Church President Howard Hunter. Whenever they were together, there would always be gales of laughter. Their bishop once told them he was going to have to separate them if they couldn’t behave.

She loved every member of her family unconditionally and with all her heart and soul. Born to pioneer parents, she had a strong testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ and treasured her membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints always seeking ways to “lengthen her stride.”

She wrote poetic gems for every occasion and for every family member or friend. When inspiration hit her, she would pen her simple masterpieces on the backs of envelopes or napkins until she could get them typed up.

She also loved General Conference … and immediately after the final “amen” my phone would ring. For the next hour or so, Nana and I would catch up while also sharing our favorite talks and experiences.

Twenty years have passed since my last conversation with my Nana … and I still miss her, especially at the close of conference weekend.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Awe my Nana I loved her so much I think of her often and really wish my children had known her...she use to make the BEST Apple Crisp and those Chicken & Dumplings were to die for....thanks for sharing this sweet memory one of the greatest women I've ever known!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm missing her as well. Such a sweet lady. I'm so glad I got to know my "great" grandmother.

Linda Sappington said...

From my brother Larry Henion: I just read your wonderful, loving and funny tribute to our Nana. I loved her so very much and still think of her often. I can't believe it's been 20 years...

Whitney said...

What business was she in?

Linda Sappington said...

Whitney ... she owned and managed a Merle Norman studio ... and later she was a top salesperson for a vitamin supplement company called NeoLife. Back in the 1950's (when most women didn't work) she brought home a middle 4-figure paycheck every month! Unheard of in those days!!!