Monday, March 16, 2020

I'll Always Have Denver


We completed our trip home to St. George – by car and loaded to the rooftop – but for most of the trip and for several days afterwards,  my thoughts remained in Denver.  I am even still a little emotional about the amazing success of High Country PETS (Rotary Presidents-elect Training Seminar).  

When I think back to last year and the pushback I got from district leaders about my idea of taking our PEs/Presidents-elect Nominees and Assistant Governors to Denver for some excellent training on how to lead their clubs, I realize what happened this weekend was nothing short of a MIRACLE!!! (one district leader even asked, “why would you want to start your District Governor year with a certain failure? We can’t even get our incoming officers to Salt Lake for PETS”).

When district leaders began discussing PETS in Denver, I was the only one who had – until this weekend - had the HCP experience.  Then and now, only a few of our clubs or our district had a budget for an additional and unexpected $1000+ expense for each of their presidents, so there was a “financial issue”… and many of our club leaders didn’t know Linda Sappington enough – or at all - to trust me on this huge change to the way we have done things for decades (though many have said the level of training club leaders had in the past has fallen short for years).  

Still, they came (though one admitted he had come to Denver “under duress”) to join the more than 450 club leaders from Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Nebraska and Idaho.  The feedback I have received so far has been absolutely and completely positive as demonstrated by these great reviews:

                      ·      “Why haven’t we done this before?” 
·      “I really enjoyed PETS. After attending last year in SLC and again in Denver I’d describe the difference between the two in one word … ‘Energy’.”
·      “HCP was elevated training” 
·      “I enjoyed this wonderful training … and I am excited to pump new life into our club!”
·      “I feel energized and better prepared to take on my year as president.”
·      “Why has it taken us so long to realize how much we needed this?”  
·      “I had a great time and learned much about Rotary.”
·      “Was a wonderful weekend, thank you all.”
·      “THANK YOU ALL for an amazing experience. This PETS was 100X better than anything our standalone PETS has ever delivered. Our PEs, PENs and AGs were energized, inspired, informed, connected – a bit overwhelmed – but in a good way. They are excited to start their leadership role and move their clubs in new and meaningful directions for service and fellowship.”

No matter what the rest of my DG year looks like, I’ll always have Denver!!! 

No comments: