Friday, March 9, 2018

Til We Meet Again, Coral Henion Nyland

Coral Velora Henion Nyland – my father’s last surviving sibling – passed away peacefully on Thursday, March 8, 2018 at the home of her daughter Coyia Nyland Keables. The 4th daughter, and 5th of eight children in the family of Harry Dexter and Else Marie Werner Henion, was born in Alexandria, Minnesota on 18 March 1920, passing into eternity just 10 days short of her 98th birthday.

Coral and her family moved to Randle, WA when she was 9 years old.  She moved to Tacoma for her senior year in high school where she also worked as a nanny for the children in a family with whom she lived.  Sometime after graduation she met Harry Nyland at a dance and they were married on September 1, 1940.  As their three children - Coyia, Bruce and Mark - grew to adulthood, she worked as a lab technician and later as a clerk in the City of Tacoma County Assessor's Office. In her leisure time, she also enjoyed gardening and golf, as well as being a talented seamstress. 

Harry preceded Coral in death in 1993. Coral leaves behind 2 adult children, Coyia (Dan) Keables, and Mark Nyland. Bruce (Mary) Nyland preceded Coral in death in 2010. Coral also leaves behind 3 grandchildren, Piper Lee, Noah Keables, and Caleb Nyland, and 5 great-grandchildren Stephen, Barnabas, Miriam, Naomi, and Nathanael Keables.

I only have a few memories of my aunt, but the most important was created just last summer when Ed and I made our “circuit” vacation, traveling 3500 miles through seven states to visit friends and family over 3 weeks.  Gratefully, my cousin Coyia willingly organized her annual Henion cousins’ luncheon so it coincided with our time in Washington State.  Larry traveled down from Seattle and Coyia brought her still-beautiful, but frail mother.  My brother and I had a wonderful conversation with our aunt as I shared family pictures on my computer – some she had never seen; and, she expressed her love and admiration for my father – five years her senior – her brother she called “my hero”. I was also pleased to snap a wonderful photo of her.  Although I didn’t know her well, her passing is a loss to me and our family.

Rest in peace, dear Aunt Coral and enjoy your reunion with loved ones on the other side of the veil.

2 comments:

Kaytee Postma said...

Another name you can take to the temple! I remember her picture from last year. She was so pretty, even at 96!

eds said...

I wish we all could have had more time to get to know the Henion family. In all the years I have been in the family I never met a member of your grandfathers family I didn't like. It was fun to just sit and get to know them. That is the one thing our family does not have is extended family i.e. uncles, aunts, cousins etc.d. I would like to find a time when Aunt Charlene's family could get together with all our family every couple of years and just get to know each other. Just saying, wishing.