Monday, July 24, 2017

Trip to Denver ... Interesting and Scary!

In the middle of our already extremely busy summer, I was asked to travel to Denver to represent Rotary District 5420 in my role as Public Image Chair.  I booked my flight, from St. George to Denver, but it turns out I had to fly first to Phoenix. I flew on Friday morning knowing the program didn’t actually start until 6 pm so I’d have a couple of hours at the hotel to rest and relax my seriously painful knee, sustained from a very minor fall.

I left St. George at 7:45 am, arrived in Phoenix at about 11:30 am (hour time change), found the gate for my “ride” to Denver but when I went to the desk, I was told they had overbooked the flight and there was no room for me. I protested that I had a ticket and a boarding pass … to no avail. I was directed to American Airlines Customer Service where they told me the next plane was also full … so my best bet was to wait for the 3:30 plane which had 6 seats available.

As it turns out I was able to get on the 1:30 flight but after boarding we sat on the tarmac for about half an hour “due to weather.” When we finally did get in the air, it was obvious it was going to be a very bumpy ride, but how bumpy, I don’t think any of us knew!  In short, it was terrifying!

When we finally got to Denver, we circled the city for a full two hours, because the turbulance made it so the pilot couldn’t safely bring the plane down.

Coming home was interesting as well. I sat between a 15-year-old girl on her way to visit her sister in Phoenix and an Arizona border patrol agent (in size very similar to Josh Postma) who wanted to talk about the LDS Church. He had a dozen questions and while our conversation took my mind off the turbulance, my other seat mate held onto my arm for most of the flight – terrified the plane was going to go down.

My leg hurt the entire 48 hours of my adventure, but my room at the Embassy Suites was really nice. Time spent with fellow Rotarians was pleasant and informational. Except for my painful knee and my near death experiences (coming and going), it was worth the effort. Now on to the next adventure! Watch for more.

1 comment:

Kaytee Postma said...

Sometimes those non-LDS inquiries are kinda fun. The genuine interest helps me flex my knowledge muscles to see how much I actually know.