Monday, February 6, 2017

DNA Proves Our Ancestry (but, no surprises)

I gave my brother Larry the Ancestry.com DNA kit for Christmas and he finally got his results.

Because my ancestors (on both sides with the exception of my paternal grandmother) have been in the United States for nearly 400 years, I would have expected to find a little bit of Native American – or African – blood in our make-up, but alas there aren’t any surprises.  Here’s how it shakes out:

28%
Great Britain (our Bradford grandparents and their ancestors)
26%
Western European (our Henion ancestors from Germany and The Netherlands)
18%
Irish (this one was a surprise … but Ireland is part of the UK and there are a lot of women on our family tree whose information I do not have)
9%
Scandinavian (another minor surprise but for the same reason)
9%
Eastern European (hmmmm, Estonia, Latvia, Bulgaria … who knew?)
             
Of course, I was disappointed to find out I’m not - even a little bit - Guyanese.  I was so certain!!!

Now I’d like to have one of my children’s DNA tested although I would be surprised it would come back as anything less than 50% Great Britain since their mother is now confirmed to be 28% British and their father is probably 98% British.  It’s all an educated estimation of our ethnicity anyway, so guess we’ll see!

No comments: