Monday, October 28, 2013

My Computer "Annus Horribilis"

It has actually been more like a horrible year and a half.  

I have a “love/hate” relationship with computers lately and have even been called the technology “angel of death” My problems initially started in Guyana when the district president’s adorable little 2-year-old picked off two computer keys.  I could still use it, but it was awkward and couldn’t be repaired so I decided it was time to replace my pretty little red Dell.  The salesman at the St. George Best Buy store convinced me a Toshiba was the “best thing going” but to my dismay, almost immediately I began having problems.  The Geek Squad tried to repair it, but by the time it was determined I had “a lemon” the warranty had run out.  Ed decided to do some research and found a great deal on a 17” Dell and ordered it, but come on … 17”?  It was just too big, so we sent it back and ordered a 15” instead.  The size was right but when it, too, began to misfire in a variety of ways, we sent it back … and I went back to the Toshiba.

While visiting David and his family in Denver, Dad and son got their heads together and negotiated a deal for David’s Apple computer so he could get a new one.  Once home, Ed – like a kid with a new toy - suggested I take his Samsung (purchased in Guyana) because it had “never given me a minutes problem.”  Shortly thereafter, the Samsung started displaying a blue screen and the Toshiba a black screen … and I was ready to jump off a tall building in my frustration!!!  

The solution?  I called David, and with his “family discount,” got a great deal on a 13” Retina Display Mac Book Pro, which he assures me, is going to provide at least five years of problem-free use.  I hope so, but with my recent computer history I’ll have to see it to believe it … so pray for me!!!

No comments: