Saturday, September 10, 2011

Those We Love in Guyana: Sister Neshaw

This lovely little sister, with a testimony as big as the Guyana interior where she was born, lived a Hindu life for more than 50 years. On New Years Eve 1997 she went to bed as usual but could not sleep. Eventually she recalls drifting off, but was still in that “twilight” between awake and asleep when a “shadow” appeared at the end of her bed. This personage did not frighten her, but gave her pause to think when “it” asked her why she had not been baptized as the Savior commanded. She sat up in bed and pondered the question until she finally concluded, “If you want me to be baptized, Lord, I will do so . . . but in which church?”

The next morning Elders Reidhead and Louis came to her front door with a message. She couldn’t wait to ask them to tell her about baptism! The elders, she recalls, “grinned from ear to ear” at her question. Then she shared her experience of the night before telling the young missionaries she believed the “shadowy spirit” was her dead aunt. The missionaries assured her the personage was indeed a heavenly messenger.

Sister Neshaw became a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in February 1998 and said, “after my baptism my trials and tribulations started in earnest. My family – including my four children – would have nothing to do with me. My friends abandoned me. I was left alone with nothing but my testimony and the elders for support. I was eventually forced to leave my home and all my belongings. I lived in several different places – wherever I could find refuge – for many months, but finally found help from my brother who had softened, but lived 60 miles away from the nearest church. He drove me to my meetings for several weeks, but finally told me he could no longer afford to make the trip. I eventually moved into Georgetown so I could be close to a branch and one day, I was told I could have my house back . . . and my family – some who have now joined the Church – embraced me again”

“I never expected to be where I am today. I am so eternally grateful to my Heavenly Father and my Savior, Jesus Christ for the great blessings of the Gospel in my life. I love the scriptures and I know the Lord answers our prayers,” states Sister Neshaw with her customary big smile.

1 comment:

Kaytee Postma said...

Wow! What a story of faith!