Friday, November 19, 2010

One More Award

OK . . . my 15-minutes of fame has now come to an end with today's recognition by the Utah Bar Association for providing "exceptional service to the legal profession and the community." This beautiful, engraved plaque is certain to be the absolute, final and very last award, recognition, or pat-on-the-head I will receive for my work during 16 years at the Volunteer Center of Washington County (except for the upcoming article in the December issue of St. George magazine). Following lunch at Little America, I was among three recipients recognized in one way or another. Mine was as the “Community Member of the Year” for the creation of three law-related programs at the Volunteer Center: Youth Court, Court-ordered Community Service Program and our ReEntry Council, the precursor to the current Resource and ReEntry Program.

Actually this award is not given annually because it is intended to go to someone outside of the law profession, so I was even more pleased to be chosen by nomination from Curtis Jensen (a partner in the law firm of Snow and Jensen in St. George), with whom I serve on Habitat for Humanity of Southwest Utah's board of trustees.

On a side note, Michael, with his usual quick-witted humor, quipped when he heard the news, “gee, Mom, I didn’t even know you drank.”

2 comments:

Kaytee Postma said...

Congratulations!!!! That's awesome! It's among a lot of deserved awards but what a great way to "hang up your hat"

Linda Sappington said...

From Tara's blog: A few days ago, the parents of The Man of the House, henceforth known as Grandma and Grandpa, stopped by for a short visit.
Grandma was on her way to be presented yet another award. Sort of reminded me of that episode of Spongebob where he keeps getting awards and Patrick feels bad because he never wins awards but Spongebob wins them all the time. The rest of us are Patricks. I am beginning to think that Utah will simply fall apart until Grandma returns home from her mission. I am not sure I ever realized how much that woman can accomplish! Go LS!