Sunday, April 19, 2009

My Victory Garden

Yesterday, I planted tomatoes and strawberries. It felt really good to be outside in the 78-degree sunshine, and I am looking forward to next weekend when Taisley and I will plant cucumbers, pumpkins and watermelon. But in talking to a couple of my neighbors and friends, it seems in 2009 - as it was in World War II - digging holes and planting a few things in the backyard is now considered a political act.

Historically, victory (also called liberty) gardens were planted to help the United States cope with food shortages during the war years. By 1943, Americans had planted more than 20 million victory gardens -- at home as well as in schools and parks -- which produced 8 million tons of food.

Today, in backyards like mine all over the country, a new victory garden movement has captured the attention of people who want to lessen their reliance on mass-produced or imported food, reduce their carbon footprint, foster a sense of community or save on their grocery bills in a fractured economic climate.

Aside from the political aspect, I have some concern about my garden - not because of the possibility of tomato worms or birds eating my produce. My biggest worry is that I will come home from work to find a "For Sale" sign on the front lawn. As my kids know, it is a long standing family trend . . . whenever Mom plants strawberries, Dad sells the house!

1 comment:

3boysohmy said...

Wish you were here to help me plant a little garden, I never have, so i'm not sure how to do it. I will be there this summer to taste all your crops!