Sunday, February 20, 2011

Momma's Broken Leg

It was a dark and rainy Saturday night when my pain level shot from -0- to 10 in an instant! Waving goodbye with my laptop bag over my shoulder, we were coming down the stairs outside Elder and Sister Childs' apartment when I mis-stepped on their wet, tiled stair and fell awkwardly and hard (the opening scene of "Blindside" comes to mind).

Excruciating pain and X-rays at West Shore Accident and Emergency Medical Center in Port-of-Spain, Trinidad confirmed what I already knew . . . the fibula is broken an inch or two above the ankle of my left leg! Surprisingly, the cost of X-rays, a cast and an hour of the doctor's time, cost only $600 TT's (about $95 USD). Since we live - and work - on the second floor, I moved into Sister Ellison's ground floor apartment where I slept (a lot due to the wonders of pain medication) in her spare bedroom. Recovery time is expected to be about 6 weeks!!!

6 comments:

Kaytee Postma said...

I was so shocked to read about this in the news letter. Do you realize every time you broke your foot/ankle/leg it's been from a misjudgment in a step. You need more calcium in your diet lady!

3boysohmy said...

Wow, how painful! Wish we were there to assist with recovery. Get well soon. The little boys were all worried about grandma when they saw the picture.

BimmerMan said...

Hope you get better soon. It is no fun being laid up with broken bones although when I did it I lost 12Kg in two weeks!!! Hope you get better soon.

Dean and Elaine said...

Oh, Linda, I can't believe this!!! What a deal! It brought back memories of when I broke my arm on our LA Mission. I slept in a recliner for weeks and then to get my motion back was in therapy for what felt like forever! Good luck to you. We will keep you in our prayers.

Linda Sappington said...

Taisley wrote (by e-mail): Well i really hope your leg fells better and you know that picture of treker the tiger by your broken leg and when i showed mom that i said to mom i bet treker the tiger is saying OH NO GRANDMAS LEG IS BROKEN.

Kaytee Postma said...

Adyn said "Oh no! Gramma's got the bluey blues!" That's a Wow Wow Wubbzy episode. She was saying you were sad basically.